Sun Joe SPX3001 Review
|Sun Joe SPX3001||8.8|
The Sun Joe SPX3001 is one of our highest rated light-duty electric pressure washers because of its affordable price and great customer reviews.
The Sun Joe SPX3001 is a versatile pressure washer that can be used for most kinds of residential cleaning. It is one of our highest rated light-duty pressure washers because of its affordable price and great customer reviews.
Despite it being one of the larger and heavier light-duty pressure washers, the Sun Joe SPX3001 is easy to move around the yard with its oversized wheels and handle.
This Sun Joe SPX3001 review will provide detailed insights about everything you need to know including specifications, what comes with the unit, common customer complaints, and how it compares to similar models.
Here are the notable features of the Sun Joe SPX3001:
|Sun Joe SPX3001||Specs|
|Pressure||2030 PSI max (1450 rated)|
|Flow Rate||1.76 GPM (1.24 rated)|
|Cleaning Power||3573 CU (1798 rated)|
|Motor Details||120 V, 14.5 amps, 1800 watts|
|Pump Type||Wobble-plate piston|
|Dimensions||14.4 x 16.5 x 33.5 in|
|Hose Length||20 ft|
|Power Cord Length||35 ft|
|Detergent Tanks||Single 40.6 fluid oz detergent tank|
|Water Type||Cold (104°F max)|
The Sun Joe SPX3001 produces the same cleaning power as its smaller counterpart the SPX3000.
Based on the maximum flow rate of 1.76 GPM and pressure of 2030 PSI, the Sun Joe SPX3001 looks like one of the most powerful light-duty pressure washers. These specifications, however, are based on using the narrowest nozzle and the pressure that the pump releases on the initial trigger pull; not the pressure at the nozzle.
You can expect to get around 1.24 GPM and 1450 PSI when normally using the SPX3001. This is slightly lower than comparable light-duty units, but many customers were satisfied with the power of the unit.
Based on the cleaning power and the price, the Sun Joe SPX3001 is a good value. It should be able to handle most of your tasks—such as cleaning siding, lawn equipment, and cars—without breaking the bank.
>> Read More: Best Electric Pressure Washers
The Sun Joe SPX3001 is larger and heavier than most similarly priced pressure washers, though there are two large wheels and handle that make transportation easier. In addition, it feels sturdy and well-made, unlike some competitors that feel like they’re made of cheaper materials.
The motor makes up about the bottom two-thirds of the unit and there is a hose reel above that. The spray gun fits into the left side of the unit when facing it, and there is convenient storage for the different nozzles towards the top.
The large detergent tank sits on the bottom of the backside of the unit and there is a spot to wrap the power cord up just above it. There is a detergent dilution apparatus that can be manually controlled using the dial on the detergent tank.
Finally, with a 35-ft power cord and 20-ft hose, the Sun Joe SPX3001 can likely reach all parts of your house and yard.
Noise typically isn’t a problem with electric pressure washers, and the Sun Joe SPX3001 is no exception. It produces some noise during use, but it should be bearable for the vast majority of users. The Total Stop System also shuts off the pump when the trigger is not engaged, further limiting noise.
What Comes in the Box
Aside from the pressure washer itself, you will also receive the following when purchasing the Sun Joe SPX3001:
- 34-in extension wand
- 20-ft high-pressure hose
- 35-ft power cord with GFCI protection
- Garden hose adaptor
- Needle clean out tool
- 5 standard quick-connect spray tips (0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, soap)
- Manual with registration card
The Sun Joe SPX3001 is CSA approved and comes with a two-year warranty that covers anything issues that arise.
If anything goes wrong, you can simply contact Sun Joe, and they will help you get a replacement unit or parts.
Customer Service Department, Snow Joe Center, 86 Executive Avenue Edison, NJ 08817.
- 𝐆𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐫 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰𝐬: The majority of customer reviews for the Sun Joe SPX3001 are very positive with most purchasers being satisfied.
- 𝐆𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐯𝐚𝐥𝐮𝐞: Compared to similarly priced units, the SPX3001 provides good value for its qualify and the power it delivers.
- 𝐓𝐨𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐩 𝐬𝐲𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐦 (𝐓𝐒𝐒): When the trigger is not engaged, the TSS automatically shuts off the pump to protect it from overheating. This saves energy and prolongs the life of the pump.
- 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡-𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐬: The SPX3001 is made with quality materials that make for a sturdy machine.
- 𝐋𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 & 𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐲 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞: With the long hose and power cord, in addition to the large wheels, you should be able to reach most of your parts with ease.
- 𝐓𝐰𝐨-𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐲: The warranty is on par with most similar units. You can rest assured knowing that you’re covered if anything breaks.
- 𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐲 𝐝𝐢𝐫𝐭 & 𝐠𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞: Like most other lighter-duty electric pressure washers, the Sun Joe SPX3001 might not do well clearing heavy soilage. If you have deep cleaning to do, you would be better off with a gas pressure washer or, at least, a medium-duty electric unit.
- 𝐋𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐩𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐝𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐝: The max flow rate and pressure are truly much less than advertised. Be sure that the rated pressure and rated flow rate are sufficient for your cleaning needs before purchasing.
- 𝐅𝐚𝐮𝐥𝐭𝐲 𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐥: The most common complaint about the SPX3001 is the hose reel not working properly. Many customers report that it does not wind up properly and can be frustrating to use.
The Sun Joe 3001 arrives partially assembled, so you have to put it together. It is pretty simple, however, and only takes a few minutes.
An instruction manual comes with the pressure washer that walks you through the steps. You can check out the following video or see the steps below to get an idea of what you have to do before purchasing.
Note: Whenever I discuss a side of the pressure washer below, I am assuming you are facing the unit. You can see a video of how to assemble the unit in the Videos section below.
- Slide the trigger gun holder into position on the left side of the unit and secure it in place with a screw.
- Attach the spray wand protector by sliding the tab on it into the groove on the front left side of the unit and screwing in one of the smaller screws.
- Fit the wand into the trigger gun and rotate it until the two parts are completely locked.
- Connect the high-pressure hose to the trigger gun by twisting until tight.
- Connect the garden hose adapter to the water inlet of the pressure washer, then thread your garden hose into the adapter.
- Attach the garden hose to the water supply.
Washing With the Sun Joe SPX3001
Using the Sun Joe SPX3001 is simple and straightforward. Just attach the garden hose to the unit as explained above, turn the hose on, and turn the pressure washer on.
Make sure the safety lock is down, then press the trigger for a few seconds until the water flow is steady. This will allow air to escape and discharge any residual pressure in the hose. After that, simply engage the trigger when you want to spray the water. Be sure not to spray close to the power source you are using.
To use soap, fill the detergent tank with detergent specifically for pressure washers. Turn the detergent dial to adjust the suction volume of the detergent solution.
Additionally, there are a few different nozzles that come with the unit, which you should use depending on what you are cleaning. The list below highlights which each is best suited for:
- Red (0°) Nozzle: Very high pressure, low flow. Good for stubborn grime and hard-to-reach areas.
- Yellow (15°) Nozzle: High pressure, medium flow. Good for hard surfaces, heavy mildew, rust, oil stains, paint removal.
- Green (25°) Nozzle: Medium pressure, medium flow. Good for cleaning siding, brick, wood, driveways, etc.
- Gray (40°) Nozzle: Lower pressure, high flow. Good for gentle cleaning of cars, boats, patio furniture, etc.
- Black (Soap) Nozzle: For applying soap and detergent.
Common Attachments to Consider
- SPX-25H. A 25-foot extension hose is used to reach longer distances that might be difficult to reach with the standard 20-foot hose.
- SPX-TSN-34S. Turbo head spray nozzle that is designed to provide you with a faster, deeper clean. The powerful oscillating pinpoint jet of water cleans 40% faster than standard nozzles for cleaning brick, concrete, vinyl, and more.
- SPX-PCA10. This circular, 10-inch attachment provides ease for deep cleaning patios, porches, decks, boats, and other flat surfaces.
- SPX-RB1. A rotary wash brush kit is useful for deep cleaning of furniture, cars, windows, siding, and more.
Sun Joe SPX3001 Alternatives
Other Electric Pressure Washers
If you are set on an electric pressure washer but aren’t sold on the Sun Joe SPX3001, here are some alternatives you may want to consider:
- Sun Joe SPX3000: A very similar Sun Joe pressure washer that is smaller and has the same cleaning power but no hose reel or detergent dilution mechanism. Read our full Sun Joe SPX3000 Review here.
- Greenworks 1500. A cheaper, lighter unit with similar cleaning power but only a one-year warranty.
- Stanley SHP2150: More expensive, yet more powerful unit with great customer reviews and a two-year warranty.
Gas Pressure Washers
Gas-powered pressure washers are more powerful than their electric-powered counterparts due to the nature of their engines. They are more expensive, but you don’t need electricity so you aren’t limited by the length of your power cord.
Here are some gas pressure washers you may want to consider:
- Generac 6922. A relatively cheap gas pressure washer that delivers 2800 PSI and 2.4 GPM.
- Simpson MS60763-S MegaShot: This pressure washer is an excellent value for its power and features. Equipped with a high output Honda GCV160 engine, it typically provides years of high performance.
- Simpson PS3228 PowerShot: The strongest pressure washer we have reviewed, delivering 8250 cleaning units for the toughest jobs. It also comes with a three-year warranty.
Verdict on the Sun Joe SPX3001
The Sun Joe SPX3001 is a good value for the cleaning power it delivers. It’s easy to move around the yard and should be sufficient for most cleaning jobs. Before purchasing, just make sure the rated PSI and GPM are enough for your needs.
Specification: Sun Joe SPX3001 Review