Best Pressure Washer Sandblasting Kits
Cleaning jobs come in different sizes and difficulty levels. Have you ever tried to wash off some paint or grease with your pressure washer? While some jobs may require little effort and pressure, others might take a lot of time but still leave you frustrated with the results.
One of the reasons for a frustrating outcome could be the pressure you are applying, compared to the pressure needed for the cleaning job. This is where pressure washer sandblasting kits come in and make your life easier.
Using sandblasting kits with your pressure washer instantly upgrades the cleaning power and brings difficult jobs, like removing graffiti or grease and other such stains, within the reach of your machine.
With so many options available on the market today, we reviewed the best pressure washer sandblasting kits to help you find your fit. We go over pros and cons, who each is best for, and much more.
Best Pressure Washer Sandblasters
Looking for a pressure washer sandblasting is easier and more difficult than ever. Easier because there are so many choices and you can truly find the perfect fit. Why is it more difficult, you ask? Well, you guessed it, because there are so many choices!
To make this process simpler for you, we went through the specifications of all the most popular models, read countless customer reviews, and more to find the top options for every situation.
Our research has helped us narrow it down to our top picks for the best pressure washer sandblasters. Here is our list:
Best Pressure Washer Sandblasters:
Tool Daily Pressure Washer Sandblasting Kit
- What’s Included:
- 10-ft hose
- 16-in pressure washer wand (water input)
- 17-in sand wand (sand input)
- 2 hose clamps
This Tool Daily pressure washer sandblasting kit is a high-performance sandblaster that works with a suction-injection technology. It comes with a ¼ inch fitting type and can work with pressure washers with up to 5,000 PSI of power.
This sandblaster kit comes with goggles, 10-ft hose, 16-in pressure washer wand (water input), 17-in sand wand (sand input), and two hose clamps. It is fairly easy to set up and use. This sand-injection-based machine works with dry silica sand, baking soda, or washed and dried river sand.
The Tool Daily 5000 PSI sandblaster kit is a 3.5 orifice in size and delivers good performance at a reasonable price point. It is sturdy, comes with a brass nozzle, and is easy to set up and dismantle. This also makes it easy to clean.
However, some users have complained about the suction power in the pump, especially with a size 3 orifice. To ensure that it drivers the best performance, use a size 3.5 orifice.
All in all, this is a great sandblaster kit and would be a great option if you need to remove stains, graffiti, or paint from surfaces. It is reasonable and has mostly positive reviews supporting its performance.
- Positive user reviews: This sandblasting kit has good ratings when it comes to its performance, with most users giving it a 4 or 5-star rating.
- Reasonable price: For the performance capabilities of this sandblasting kit, it is relatively cheap.
- Easy cleaning: This Tool Daily sandblaster kit comes with removable attachments that can be cleaned and dried easily after use.
- Comes with a brass nozzle: This sandblaster comes with a high-quality brass nozzle tip that delivers consistent performance.
- Complaints about suction: This sandblaster kit has received negative attention from some users for its suction power.
- Complaints about loose fittings: The fittings have been reported to be a little difficult to completely attach to set up the sandblaster. Be sure to tighten the attachments to ensure good performance.
Selkie Pressure Washer Sandblasting Kit
- What’s Included:
- 10-ft hose
- 16-in pressure washer wand (water input)
- 17-in sand wand (sand input)
- 4 hose clamps
- 2 extra replacement ceramic nozzle kits
The Selkie pressure washer sandblasting kit is a powerful unit that works with pressure washers with up to 5,000 PSI. It is made with premium materials like brass, with a chrome-plated gun to avoid corrosion and rust.
With a sturdy design, this sandblasting kit is powerful and can be used for a variety of applications. It can cover everything from rust, paint, and other stubborn stains, all the way to engines and other machine parts. This kit also comes with replacement ceramic nozzle fittings which can make your life easy.
Its performance has been praised by the majority of the customers who have reviewed it. However, there have been a few complaints about the sandblaster not performing up to expectations. The customer service and the information provided by Selkie with their kits have also been found to fall short of expectations by some.
Overall, this is a solid, powerful, and durable sandblasting kit. If you are looking for a powerful sandblaster, especially for cleaning engines and other automotive parts, this is a great option.
- High cleaning power: Compatible with pressure washers with up to 5,000 PSI, this machine is ready for stubborn cleaning. A majority of customers have vouched for its performance.
- Good value for money: This Selkie attachment comes at a reasonable price point and offers good performance.
- Replacement ceramic nozzles: Included in the kit are two replacement ceramic nozzles in case one breaks.
- Built for durability: The brass nozzle tip and premium gun body materials ensure that this sandblaster has consistent performance.
- Suction complaints: A few users have complained about the suction power for this Selkie model. However, this issue seems to be rare.
- Lack of instructions: Some users have found the information and material provided by the company to be inadequate.
AgiiMan Pressure Washer Sandblasting Kit
- What’s Included:
- 10-ft hose
- 16-in pressure washer wand (water input)
- 17-in sand wand (sand input) and two hose clamps.
- ¼ inch quick connector
The AgiiMan pressure washer sandblaster kit is a powerful machine that can be attached to your pressure washer. It is capable of removing all kinds of stubborn stains, everything from graffiti to oil.
It is compatible with pressure washers with up to 3,200 PSI power. Included in the kit is a K-series Karcher model adaptor that allows you to use this attachment with Karcher models. Apart from a good performance, this model comes with a satisfaction guarantee that lets you return it for a full refund if you aren’t satisfied.
On the downside, this machine is compatible with only up to 3,200 PSI pressure washers. Some customers have also found clogging to be a problem that may happen often. Along with this, the gun of this AgiiMan model is made mostly of plastic and that has resulted in a less sturdy design.
In case you work with a pressure washer below 3,200 PSI or a Karcher K-series model, you will find this AgiiMan sandblaster kit to be a good value for money option and a decent performer.
- Comes with Karcher adaptor: This AgiiMan model is compatible with pressure washers with up to 3,200 PSI. Along with this, it comes with a K-series Karcher adaptor, included in the kit.
- Satisfaction guarantee: AgliMan allows you to return or refund your product in case you are not satisfied with the performance.
- Durable build (mostly): Most of the body of this sandblaster kit is made of stainless steel and brass, making it durable.
- Low-pressure compatibility: This model is compatible with pressure washers up to 3,200 PSI, which is lower than other options on this list. This is only a problem if you have a pressure washer with a higher max PSI.
- Plastic wand: The wand and nozzle of the gun in this model are made of plastic and may be less durable than other parts of this kit.
- Clogging: Some customers have found that this pressure washer is prone to clogging and this impacts the overall performance of the kit.
BOTINDO Pressure Washer Sandblasting Kit
- What’s Included:
- Pressure washer wand (water input)
- Sand wand (sand input)
- Hose clamps
- Ceramic nozzles (2 long & 2 short)
The BOTINDO pressure washer sandblaster kit is a powerful attachment for the abrasive cleaning of deep stains. With a compatibility range of up to 5,000 PSI, this model can easily be used to clean stubborn stains including rust, graffiti, paint, grease, scale, and more.
This versatile machine also has a very reasonable price point. The kit includes all necessary parts along with replacement nozzles and rubber bands for set up and use. The setup process is also simple and can be completed in just a few minutes.
Though the performance of this sandblaster kit seems great on paper due to the compatibility range and equipment, it has few customer reviews making it hard to judge the long-term durability and performance.
This BOTINDO sandblasting kit is a great option for someone looking to get high performance at a reasonable price.
- Good value for money: Capable of compatibility with up to 5,000 PSI machines, this sandblaster is a great value for money option as it is priced lower than most competitors.
- 4 replacement nozzles included: The kit includes two short and two long ceramic replacement nozzles in case the original ones break.
- Durable build-quality: It uses a stainless steel and brass design that ensures long-lasting performance.
- Simple setup process: It only takes a few minutes to set up.
- Limited customer reviews: This model has few customer reviews, making it harder to judge the long-term quality of the machine.
- Light hose: One common complaint is that the hose is light and may require replacement.
Hourleey Pressure Washer Sandblasting Kit
- What’s Included:
- 10-ft hose
- 16-in pressure water input washer wand
- 17-in sand input sand wand
- 2 hose clamps
- Replacement ceramic nozzle
This Hourleey pressure washer sandblasting kit is compatible with up to 5,000 PSI machines and can clean out dust, paints, stains, and other stubborn spots on various surfaces. It can be used with baking soda or dried river sand.
With the kit, you get a 10-ft hose that can be used for adding a bit of maneuverability to your cleaning tasks. It comes with a 17-in stainless steel sand input wand and a 16-in water input wand. Along with this, a ceramic replacement nozzle is also included.
Due to its high-quality materials, this kit is durable and performs well. However, this Hourleey model has been found by a few users to be best suited to a trial and error approach. It can be time-consuming to understand how this sandblaster works best. Additionally, under high-performance situations, it has been found to be prone to clogging.
If you are looking for a value for money option, this Hourleey pressure washer sandblasting kit can be a great option.
- Good value for money: Capable of delivering good power and priced decently, this sandblaster provides good value for money.
- Replacement nozzle kit included: This kit includes an extra ceramic nozzle in case the original breaks.
- Durable build: It uses a stainless steel and brass design that ensures long-lasting performance.
- Good customer service: Hourleey is known for its great customer service and will be there to help should anything go wrong.
- Can take some getting used to: Some users have found that it takes a little time to get used to the machine and what works best for it, along with what the machine works best for.
- Issues with clogging: Some users have found it difficult to use for high-pressure jobs, with clogging mentioned as a frequent complaint in the reviews.
Angela & Alex Pressure Washer Sandblasting Kit
- What’s Included:
- Pressure washer wand (water input)
- Sand wand (sand input)
- Hose clamps
- 4 Ceramic nozzles
- 2 Rubber bands
This Angela & Alex pressure washer sandblasting kit is a compatible and capable model. The ¼ inch quick connect option makes it easy to plug in your pressure washer. The ability to function with pressure washers with up to 5,000 PSI, ensures you have versatility and power in the same kit.
This kit is made of stainless steel, brass, and rubber so that you get a model that is abrasion and corrosion-resistant. Therefore, performance is also backed by durability. Included in this kit are a 10-ft hose, sand wand, pressure wand, hose clamps, and replacement ceramic nozzles.
Users have found the machine to be powerful and easy to use. This sandblaster can remove rust, graffiti, paint, and grease, and is ideal for household and commercial abrasive cleaning.
Like many other sandblasting kits, there have been some incidents of clogging when the machine is used for tougher jobs.
Overall, this Angela & Alex model is a good option if you do not mind paying a couple of extra dollars for good build quality and consistent performance.
- High-quality performance: It uses a stainless steel and brass design that ensures long-lasting performance and is compatible with up to 5,000 PSI pressure washers.
- Replacement nozzles included: The kit comes with 4 ceramic nozzles in case one breaks or you lose one.
- Positive customer reviews: Most customer reviews on this model are positive and have taken note of the powerful performance delivered.
- Versatile in sand input: This sandblasting kit can be used with dry silica sand, baking soda, or washed river sand.
- Clogging: Some users have found clogging to be an issue when this model is used for longer durations or if the sand input used was not extremely fine.
- Cost: The price point for this Angela & Alex model is slightly higher than other comparable models.
How Pressure Washer Sandblasting Kits Help You Clean Better
Sandblasting kits come to your rescue when your pressure washer alone can’t get the job done. Say the job you want to accomplish involves removing stubborn rust from an iron surface. These sorts of jobs are not fit for most pressure washers.
But how can a sandblasting kit help you out here? Your typical pressure washer shoots a jet of water at high pressure, to remove dirt and grime from the surface that needs to be cleaned. However, sandblasting uses a different method.
These kits shoot an abrasive substance (often called the media) like silica sand, baking soda, or washed and dried river sand that can clean better than just water alone. You should always check which abrasive works best with the kit option you are considering.
Benefits of Pressure Washer Sandblasting Kits
Pressure washer sandblasting kits are a very handy attachment to have at your disposal. They’re easy to set up and use and allow you to perform all your tasks in a fraction of the time it would otherwise take you, with less effort.
1) Remove things that pressure washers can’t
While regular pressure washers can be very powerful and clean many surfaces, sandblasting kits are an instant upgrade to your pressure washers’ capabilities.
Sandblasting kits are great for removing rust, graffiti, paint, baked-on grease, and other stubborn dirt. This is made possible by the use of an abrasive material that mixes with the water jet to create an abrasive spray. This spray is capable of washing away the most complex coatings.
2) Generally very affordable
You can typically purchase a good sandblasting kit for under $50. Additionally, the abrasives used as media for these kits, are either free of cost or extremely low cost. Sandblasters basically pay for themselves with how much time you’ll save by using them.
3) Easy to use
The setup process and using sandblasters are both very simple. All you have to do is collect the abrasive in a bucket or some other container. Next, attach the water input to your spray gun and insert the media input into the bucket with the abrasive. Now ensure the hose clamps are tightly secured. Once the check is complete, your sandblasting kit is good to go!
4) Less dust than dry sandblasting kits
Dry sandblasting is a very efficient technique for cleaning and preparing surfaces. A dry sandblasting kit pulls sand and disperses it with the help of a compressor. The abrasive is sucked in by a vacuum created by the machine and then the high pressure of the compressed air is used to create the force behind the dry blast.
However, this method does lead to a lot of dust particles around the cleaning area and can even lead to health hazards. On the other hand, a wet sandblasting kit mixes the sand with water, ensuring there is nothing floating in the air for you to inhale.
5) No air compressor needed
Because dry sandblasting kits work with a compressed air-based design, this makes a compressor necessary. Wet sandblasting kits function in a completely different way and this means that a compressor is not required. With a wet sandblasting kit, you can rid yourself of all hassles related to air compressors by using your pressure washer.
6) Simultaneous cleaning and rinsing
As the jet that comes out of wet sandblasting kits has both water and an abrasive, you save time. You do not have to wash the surface again with water to remove any sort of media that might still be attached to it. This is not the case in a dry blasting kit.
Wet vs. Dry Sandblasting
Both wet and dry sandblasting are good methods for deep cleaning. However, they each have their benefits and use cases. Wet sandblasting is generally preferred on plastic surfaces as such services might heat up through the friction caused by dry sandblasting.
On the other hand, dry sandblasting does not mix the media with water and therefore is often a better option for wood and other surfaces you don’t want to get wet.
The primary difference between the two comes from the technology being used for the job. Let’s take a look at what this means for you as a user.
What powers the sand
Wet sandblasters are attached to the pressure washer and use a suction-fed injection system to mix the media with the water. This process then creates an abrasive spray that is capable of cleaning out tough, rugged spots.
On the other hand, a dry sandblasting kit uses an air compressor to generate streams of high pressure. This air mixes with the media being used to create an abrasive spray, capable of cleaning a lot of surfaces.
What each is best for
Wet sandblasting kits come with the friction of the abrasive material and the pressure of water jets. When compared to a dry sandblasting kit, the frictional heat generated by wet sandblasting is lower and that is the reason why it is suitable for surfaces like plastics. Metal surfaces, or others, that need to be prepared are also often cleaned with wet sandblasting to ensure that dust is not stuck to the surface.
Dry sandblasting kits create frictional heat on the surface and should therefore be lept away from them. However, the lack of the water component in this kit means that you can clean surfaces like wood that may be spoiled due to moisture. Dry sandblasting is also a great option to clean metallic surfaces.
The cost of a wet sandblasting kit is generally a bit more than a dry sandblasting kit. But, the cost factor also depends on if you already have a pressure washer or air compressor.
For example, if you do happen to have a pressure washer at home, it would make perfect sense to get a wet sandblasting kit and use it with the existing setup instated of buying both a dry kit and an air compressor.
Even if you do not have a pressure washer, it might make more sense to get a pressure washer and a wet kit as you could get the benefit of being able to clean around the home. On the contrary, if you do have an air compressor, a dry sandblasting kit is a great option too.
What to Consider When Buying a Pressure Washer Sandblaster
1) Compatibility with your pressure washer
Once you decide to purchase a wet sandblasting kit, the first thing to narrow down your search is by looking for kits that meet the PSI (pressure) and GPM (water flow rate) ranges of your pressure washer.
The higher these values, the more powerful the pressure washer you have at your disposal. Wet sandblasting kits come with PSI and GPM ratings within which they function best. Sticking within this range will significantly narrow down your research.
If your machine is rated at a lower GPM range than the sandblasting kit, the abrasive spray is likely to be denser and contain more sand. This is not ideal for cleaning. A higher GPM would mean too much water and less sand which is also not ideal.
Similarly, a lower PSI will result in a water flow that is not strong enough to clean the surface. A higher PSI, on the other hand, could result in a force that is too strong and may cause damage to the surface.
Along with the PSI and GPM range, also be sure to check the compatibility. Usually, these kits come with a ¼ inch quick connector but ensure that you check it before making the purchase.
2) Nozzle material
Nozzles are the opening that direct the abrasive into the water to allow for it to mix with the jet. They come in various materials that vary in terms of durability and performance. Let’s take a look at each of the nozzle types in detail.
Carbide nozzles are the most durable option out of the three. They are made of compounds of carbon and metal, which give this material its toughness and rigidity. What this means is that you do not have to worry about abrasives damaging the nozzle or corrosion to its surface. It is resistant to both and delivers under all conditions.
What you do have to consider with this tip, though, is the cost that you have to pay for it upfront. If you use your sandblasting kit often and are looking for a durable solution regardless of the price, carbide nozzles are the right choice for you!
Ceramic nozzles are the most common amongst the three nozzle options and for good reason. These nozzles provide great value for money. They come at an affordable price and are made of durable materials.
These tips are easy to fit into the sandblasting kit are abrasive-resistant and perform well. If you are looking for a quick, easy, and affordable nozzle and are not particular about the durability provided by carbide nozzles, the ceramic nozzle is the perfect option.
Steel nozzles have a solid exterior that makes them tough. But when it comes to their usage with regards to the sandblasting kit, this nozzle has to brave abrasives and high-pressure water regularly. There is a high chance of corrosion of the surface and the wear and tear also increase with continuous exposure to sand.
Due to these reasons, a steel nozzle tip might not be your ideal pick. But keep in mind that other parts of the sandblasting kits do become better performers and more durable when made with stainless steel.
3) Quality of Materials
The quality of the parts that make up the sandblaster will determine the performance as well the durability of the kit. Typically, you will find that most kits on the cheaper end of the price spectrum have parts made out of plastic. On the other hand, more expensive kits use better and more durable materials like stainless steel.
Let’s take a look at some common sandblasting kit parts and what they are made of:
- Sand hose: The sand hose is the part of the sandblasting kit that carries the abrasive from the bucket to the point of confluence with the water. This hose is usually made of either plastic or rubber and, in some rare cases, of metal.
- Sand intake wand: The sand intake wand is the part of the sand hose that is directly in contact with the media in use for the cleaning job. This wand is either made of plastic or stainless steel. The stainless steel build is more durable and can handle wear and tear.
- Nozzle: The nozzle provides the opening through which the abrasive spray passes through the spray wand and onto the surface in question. This nozzle is made of either carbide, or ceramic, and in some cases, of steel.
There is a wide availability of wet sandblasting kits in the market. This range includes models at various prices and opposite ends of the cost spectrum. Factors that influence the prices of these models include the build quality and the PSI and GPM compatibility.
The more expensive the wet sandblasting kit you buy, it becomes likely that the kit will have parts made out of metals like stainless steel and brass. These tend to last longer and give you a stable performance over time.
The PSI and GPM capabilities also decide the effort and time required to clean a surface and are therefore important to consider. If you are looking for longer and better performance and are likely to use the kit often, you might want to go with the more expensive models.
5) Customer reviews
No one can give you a more authentic review about a product than someone using it. It is important to get an opinion on the actual performance, rather than digest the advertised performance.
You can typically find many customer reviews of the product online. Through these reviews and experiences, you can make the right choice or improve your approach by learning from somebody else’s experience.
An example is that during your research, you might find out that the wet sandblasting kit you intend to purchase works best with river sand. Or that it clogs up too often. Now you can modify the decision as you see fit.
How to Use Your Pressure Washer Sandblasting Ki
1) Gather everything you need
Let’s take a look at a list of things to get your sandblasting kit ready for use:
- Media: Media is the abrasive component of the sandblasting kit. It combines with the water jet to give you an abrasive spray. Some examples of media are dry silica, sand, and baking soda.
- Pressure washer: Wet sandblasting kits are powered by pressure washers. You have to attach your sandblasting kit to the trigger gun and squeeze the trigger. The pressure washer generates a pressurized jet spray and this jet mixes with the suction-fed media to create a strong spray, capable of cleaning the surface.
- Sandblasting kit: A sandblasting kit is an apparatus that is attached to the pressure washer. It includes a water input, a sand intake, a sand hose, hose clamps, and nozzles. You have to set up and ensure that all the connections are secure, before using the kit.
- Eyeglasses/Goggles: All the activities of the sandblasting kit happen under pressure. The water is released at high-pressure levels to generate enough force. The jet of a sandblasting kit also includes abrasives. This makes it important to wear protective gear like goggles.
- Protective clothing: With abrasives and high-pressure water flying about during use, it is extremely necessary to ensure that you wear protective clothing before cleaning.
- Mask: A face mask will help you avoid the dust that may fly around when you use your sandblasting kit. Even though wet sandblasting releases much lesser dust into the air than dry kits, it’s best to take precautions.
- Sand collection (optional): Even though it is not necessary, you may want to use a large tarp or something similar to save the media you use and to make cleaning up easier.
2) Prepare the surface to be cleaned
Sandblasting should always be done with adequate preparation. Be sure to set the surface to be cleaned near an area with drainage so that the abrasive spray can drain off. Or, you could do it in an open area with a surface that can absorb water and the abrasive.
In case you want to reuse the abrasive, you should keep a large tarp or something similar that can trap the abrasive.
3) Attach the sandblaster to your pressure washer
Setting up a sandblasting kit is very easy and can be done with minimal effort. Let’s take a look at the step-by-step breakdown of the setup process.
- You should start by setting up your pressure washer as you normally would.
- Next, take the water input (which usually comes with a ¼ inch quick connector) and insert it into the trigger gun/wand of the pressure water. Secure the connection.
- Now take the sand input wand and immerse it into the bucket or other container with the media. Make sure that the top of the input wand is not devoid of air. Be sure to check that the media is completely dry.
- Now your sandblasting kit is set up and you can begin cleaning the surface with an abrasive spray.
4) Start sandblasting safely
Sandblasting is generally safe and easy. However, it is extremely important to wear protective clothing and hearing protection to prevent any possible accident. You need to look out for things like dust/abrasives flying about, high noise levels, and protecting the surface and yourself from excessive water.
Let’s look at how to tackle these issues and keep safe during sandblasting.
- Dust/abrasive flying about: While sandblasting, always ensure that you are wearing a protective mask to avoid any media flying about to get into your nose or mouth. These abrasives are pollutants and can be uncomfortable if inhaled.
- High noise levels: Hearing aids come in handy to avoid any discomfort or hearing issues due to the noise levels of the sandblasting kit. It might not seem too loud when you just start, but continuous exposure to the relatively loud noise can be damaging. Be sure to plug your ears so you can carry on the job unhindered.
- Damage to surface or yourself: Two things to look out for to avoid this situation are to check the power and keep it off until it the kit is ready for use and to check the water pressure from a distance on the surface before actual usage. You can modify the pressure and distance once it is clear by the trial and error approach.
- Water collection around you: A good amount of water and the media are used in sandblasting kits. This makes it important to wear boots that will keep you from slipping and hurting yourself. It is also best to keep the surface in an area with good drainage.
Pressure Washer Surface Cleaner FAQs
Is dry or wet sandblasting better?
Dry and wet sandblasting both have their own purposes and can be extremely effective. Whether one is better than the other will depend on a bunch of factors, but primary among them is the surface to be cleaned.
If you are cleaning wood, or any other surface that can not handle water very well, dry blasting is the better choice. Similarly, if you are cleaning a surface that can overheat like plastic, wet sandblasting is the better option because it generates much lower frictional heat.
Apart from this, wet sandblasting kits do not generate free dust particles and the use of water ensures that the surface is washed during the cleaning.
Are pressure washer sandblasters safe?
Pressure washer sandblasting kits are generally safe but should be used only after adequate care is taken to ensure protection. Protective equipment like goggles, hearing plugs, and waterproof clothing, should always be worn before the sandblasting kit is put to use.
Additionally, enough care should be taken to maintain the right distance from the surface being cleaned. The best way to go about this is with a trial and error approach. Start from a good distance and see if the performance is adequate and adjust accordingly.
Always be sure to check the clamps and all attachments in the setup to ensure that there is no leakage. Keep the wand pointing away from you and those around you. Press the trigger on the trigger gun, only after taking these precautions.
What is the minimum PSI needed for pressure washer sandblasting kits?
To create an abrasive spray strong enough to dislodge the rust or dust from the surface to be cleaned, you will need a decently powerful pressure washer. There should also be enough power to ensure that the spray is into a thick, muddy jet.
The minimum PSI advised for optimum performance of your sandblasting kit is around 1,500 PSI. However, here again, it’s best to adopt a trial and error approach. Try with less pressure and keep increasing in case it is not enough.
How can I tell if a sandblaster is compatible with my pressure washer?
It is necessary to ensure that your sandblasting kit is compatible with your pressure washer. To confirm this, you should check a few things.
Start by checking the PSI and GPM range of the pressure washer and compared it with the sandblasting kit. Any discrepancy here will either result in damage to the kit or the surface, or result in an underwhelming performance.
Apart from this, it is necessary to ensure that the fitting of the sandblasting kit matches your pressure washer. Most sandblasting kits have a ¼ inch quick connector and work well with most pressure washers. However, if this is not the case, you may have to purchase a connector to ensure compatibility.
What kind of sand do I need for a pressure washer sandblaster?
Choosing the right media (abrasive) for the job is extremely important to ensure that you get the performance you desire. Most sandblasting kits work well with dried river sand, dry silica, or baking soda.
You should ideally look at the surface that needs to be cleaned and make a decision. For softer surfaces, use finer media. Whereas, tough and rigid surfaces can be cleaned using coarser particles.
If you are not sure about what works best, it is better to adopt a trial-and-error approach. Always start with a finer abrasive, test its performance on the surface that needs to be cleaned, and make a decision. If it works well, you can go ahead with finer particles like baking soda and dry silica. If the performance is not as per expectation, switch to a coarser media.
What do I do if water gets into the sand hose?
Getting water into your sand hose could spoil the job at hand. To avoid such a situation, try placing your sand hose in a way that the hose is above the level of your wand. This will ensure that there is no water pushback into the media and the media stays dry.
In a scenario where the water does manage to creep into your sand hose, immediately detach it from the assembly and let it air dry. Once the hose is clear of any water, you can continue using the sandblasting kit.
How much do pressure washer sandblasting kits usually cost?
Wet sandblasting kits usually cost between $25 and $40 mark. For a model that is on the lower end of this spectrum, you might find that the PSI and GPM compatibility range is lower and the build quality of the materials is not as good (generally plastic).
More expensive kits usually come with higher compatibility and performance ranges. Their components are made of more durable materials like stainless steel and they might come with better customer service as well.